Remember when we all breathed a sigh of relief at the end of 2020, so glad that year was over. We can all cachinnate (self-care item #3, pronounced KACK-uh-nate, to laugh loudly) now.
Year end and holiday time can be challenging even in good years when there isn’t a pandemic. Last December I shared tips for managing holidays with family, when that experience is “neither merry nor bright.” If we were stressed then, we are all a bit feral now, with yet another variant of COVID-19, Omicron, making its way into our vernacular.
Self-care is a logical response to reduce stress. Yet with so much to do before year’s end, between holidays and finishing everything that needs doing or achieving goals set last January (there’s still time!), relishing time for ourselves is likely at the bottom of the “to do” list.
If you don’t care for yourself, you won’t be able to care for others.
You may be thinking, “Who has time or money for self-care now?” You do! Self-care doesn’t have to be a weekend ski trip to Aspen, a day at the spa or even an hour in a bubble bath. Here is a list of “micro-moments of self-care” activities you can do right now, where you are, in a matter of minutes.
Each of these self-care ideas, from A to Z, is a little “micro” thing to do to reset your nervous system back to calm. Even doing just one or two of these can have a huge benefit for self-care when you make it part of your day.
Which ones will you try? What are others that you enjoy. Please share in the comments.
Micro-moments of Self-Care, from A to Z
- Apply light pressure and massage your temples.
- Breath ten times like you’re trying to fill a balloon behind your belly button.
- Cachinnate (See above.)
- Dance to your favorite music.
- Eat something very slowly. Taste it, smell it, feel the texture in your mouth.
- Forgive a hurt.
- Gargle (it will tickle your vagus nerve.)
- Hold an object that is special to you.
- Illuminate your surroundings by lighting a candle.
- Jump up and down 20 times.
- Kick your shoes off and soak your feet in hot water.
- Listen to a beloved song.
- Meditate on positive words.
- Nab a quick nap.
- Open your heart to the world of possibility.
- Pop bubble wrap.
- Quench your thirst by drinking two glasses of water.
- Read a book in sunny spot.
- Scratch a dog behind its ears (works on cats, too!)
- Take a walk around the block.
- Use mental imagery to imagine a cherished place or space.
- Vivify your skin by moisturizing your face.
- Write in a gratitude journal.
- X marks the spot to sit and enjoy a cup of tea.
- Yodel as loud as you can.
- Zoom with a friend just because.
Wishing you and yours a safe, happy and healthy December and New Year.