Nowadays, “how to negotiate problematic situations” may refer to simple, every day conversations. Whether it’s something you hoped to avoid or just the every day difference of opinion, here are some tips to avoid potential landmines.
- Use your intellect instead of your feelings.
- Think about what is happening.
- Think about what you would like to have happen.
- Be aware of your expectations (and underlying assumptions).
- Be aware of what you are feeling (e.g., fear; frustration: helplessness).
- Take responsibility for your feelings and learn what you need to do in order to attend to them.
- Enter your negotiations with a clear mind and settled feelings.
Posted by: Louis Dvorkin, Ph.D. Clinical Psychologist